Greater Binghamton is making headlines. Read all about it!
Upstate Adventure with Kids: A road trip from NYC to Upstate with small children
By Judy Koutsky
My three-year-old was on Spring Break (from nursery school), so I decided to pack up the car, load up the kids (we also have a one-year-old) and hit the road for a good, old-fashioned road trip. Our destination? Upstate New York.
Greater Binghamton Convention & Visitors Bureau Receives 2012 Readers’ Choice Award from SportsEvents
Greater Binghamton CVB recently was recognized by SportsEvents Media Group, as one of its 2012 Readers’ Choice Award recipients. A leading industry publication devoted to connecting sport event organizers with sports commissions, CVBs, hotels, insurance companies and other sports events industry suppliers, SportsEvents registered more than 3,000 votes for the prestigious award.
The Twilight Zone: A Celebration of Rod Serling
By Lawrence Kassan
Known primarily for his role as the host of television’s THE TWILIGHT ZONE, Binghamton’s very own Rod Serling had one of the most exceptional and varied careers in television. As a writer, a producer, and for many years a teacher, Serling challenged the medium of television to reach for loftier artistic goals. He was writing for television during a time the medium was referred to as The Golden Age; sometimeafter his death, it began being referred to as America’s Vast Waste Land!
Area courses a hotbed for Canadian golfers
By Kevin Stevens
March 24, 2009
From Greater Brockville, Ontario, Sonny Clark and fellow golf enthusiasts make their annual pilgrimage to Broome and eastern Tioga County.
“Spring Fling” is what they call their three-day stay that includes two rounds at Conklin Players Club and another at The Links at Hiawatha Landing, Last year, the group numbered 64. This year, 72 have committed, the majority members of Brockville Country Club.
Unique Facts and Famous People in Greater Binghamton
- Greater Binghamton is the Carousel Capital of the world, boasting 6 antique carousels. It’s also the Pierogie Capital (2008 and 2009 – Mrs. T’s) and the original Home of the Spiedie!
- Celebrities such as Rod Serling, creator of The Twilight Zone, and Johnny Hart, known for his B.C. Comic Strip, grew up in Greater Binghamton.
- The Triplets, the farm team to the Yankees, called Binghamton home. (Thurman Munson, Whitey Ford, and others played here.)
- The Exterminator, a Kentucky Derby winner, was buried in Binghamton.
- Basketball star, King Rice, went to Binghamton High School and is currently coaching.
- Coach of Seton Hall Bobby Gonzalez is from Binghamton.
- Hockey player Mike Dunham is from Binghamton.
- US Olympic bobsled team member Chris Coleman is from Binghamton.
- James Matthews, who brought the Broome Dusters (AHL) to Binghamton, is from Binghamton.
- Baseball pitcher for the Yankees Steve Kraley is from Binghamton.
- Hockey player for the Dusters Frankie Hamel is from Binghamton.
- Danny Nagel, who pitched the last World Series at Abbots Field for the Brooklyn Dodgers, is from Binghamton.
- Bill Harrison, who scored the most touchdowns for Binghamton Central in 1957, is from Binghamton.
- Becka Wiggins, who pitched a no hitter for SV baseball, is from Binghamton?
- Cornell Basketball player Chuck Rolles, who had 55 pts in one game, is from Binghamton.