Sports and Tours
Whether you’re into professional, semi-pro, college or even amateur sports teams, Greater Binghamton has it all.
For the true sports fanatic, there is no better place to visit than Greater Binghamton. Catch a homerun at a Binghamton Mets Baseball game, see the Binghamton Senators rip up their opponents on ice, or feed your need for speed at the Five Mile Point Speedway. State-of-the-art, multi-use athletic facilities offer an assortment of sporting events all year round.
Whether you’re a spectator or a player, Greater Binghamton is paradise for sports fans.
Sports Events Planner
Greater Binghamton is THE place to host your next sporting event! Why? Here are some of the reasons:
- We have a long history of sports in the Greater Binghamton area, from professional to amateur. Back in 1923 the Triplets, an eastern league farm club of the NY Yankees played here. Since 1992 fans flock to the Binghamton Mets, the NY Mets AA affiliate. Professional hockey also has a storied history including the Broome Dusters, Binghamton Whalers and Binghamton Rangers. We are currently the home of the AHL Binghamton Senators, the top development team of the Ottawa Senators.
- We host sporting events from the local level all the way to the national sports stage. The Empire State Games Summer Games, Special Olympics Spring and Fall Games, STOP DWI World Youth Classic (baseball), I Love NY Cup Gymnastics Meet, Snicker’s & President’s Cup Soccer Tournament, US Lacrosse Youth Festival and the STOP DWI Holiday Classic (basketball) are just a few of the main events that have competed here.
We have numerous state-of-the-art sports facilities to accommodate your event:
- Binghamton University’s campus, home of the Division I Bearcats, offers numerous sports venues including their 156,000 square foot Events Center. The Events Center can seat 6,000 for a basketball game and also features an indoor track.
- We have multiple all purpose fields and all weather tracks throughout the county, plus an Ice Rink at Broome Community College.
- The brand new Greater Binghamton Sports Complex is the largest facility of it’s kind in the nation. At 124,000 square feet of competition space, there is room for 2 softball fields or 5 soccer fields at one time.
You and your athletes will appreciate our convenient and central location in the heart of Upstate New York. If you are traveling by car, we are easy to get to from several major highways, I-81 and I-88, and NYS Route 17 (future I-86) all connect in Binghamton. If you travel by air, you’ll be welcomed to the newly remodeled Greater Binghamton Airport. We also have affordable accommodations and great national and locally owned restaurants.
With so many reasons to host your next sporting event, why consider anywhere else other than Greater Binghamton? Words can only convey part of the message – an actual tour will speak volumes. To set up your personal visit to Greater Binghamton, contact the Convention and Visitor’s Bureau at (800) 836-6740.
Motorcoach / Group Tours
The Greater Binghamton Convention & Visitors Bureau stands ready to welcome your groups and tours to our community. We trust that you will find this Group Tour Planner to be informative and helpful when planning you next excursion to Greater Binghamton.
From gently rolling hills to lush green valleys, Greater Binghamton offers big city feel with upstate appeal.
- There are endless opportunities for dining, entertainment, shopping, sightseeing, and more. With over 2600 first class rooms you’ll be sure to find the perfect accommodations.
- Take a spin on one of our six antique wooden carousels (the largest collection in the world!) or a guided tour of several gold-domed or wooden churches.
- Hit the links at one of our 11 public golf courses. Watch the pros play: AMA National Motocross Championship, AHL Binghamton Senators, AA Binghamton Mets baseball, Chris Thater Memorial Races, or the dBI Tennis Challenger.
- Spice up your tour with a unique festival or event. Annual happenings include: Annual Crappie Derby, First Night Binghamton, Apple Fest, Arts & Crafts shows, Boo at the Zoo, Cider Mill, Deposit Days & Lumberjack Festival, Holiday Festivities, & the Spiedie Fest & Balloon Rally (an ABA Top 100 Event for 2006).
- You won’t want to miss the incredible Fall Foliage that New York State is famous for.
Did we mention our hospitality? If you want your groups to be treated right, let them experience our hometown warmth. Located at the intersection of Interstates 81 & 88 and New York Route 17 (future I 86), Greater Binghamton has many options from meal stops to day tours to multi-day & hub ‘n spoke tours. So don’t delay… book your group to Greater Binghamton today!
Motor Coach repair:
Shafer’s Tour & Charter
500 North Street
Endicott, NY 13760
Coach Service: Wash/Dump/Fuel by appointment
Emergency Repair Service Available